How to Style a Black and Camel Outfit
I have always been a fan of the color combo black and camel. There is something about camel that screams “holy chic!” It is such a classy color, and can be paired and styled with so many different types of outfits. Normally during winter my style consists of black on black on black, but for this outfit I wanted to test out how I can style a full camel look:
1. First it’s important to pick a main piece that you want to style your outfit around. Starting with one article of clothing makes the styling process a lot easier, rather than having 5 pieces laying on your bed and trying to figure out how it’s all going to work together. My statement piece in this look is my camel coat from Dezzal.
2. Second, pull out 3 options for pants and tops that match your color combo, and simply play dress up. I couldn’t go wrong with my waxy Spanx jeans, they are my ultimate favorites and really add some extra edge to this look. I tried on a few blouses and tops before I picked this knit sweater. I think the off-color matches the camel so well, which brings me to my next step.
3. Third, when picking colors – don’t strive for the same exact color for each piece. What really makes an outfit flow is being able to match effortlessly. You not only want your pieces to be able to stand out against each other, but you also want to have your outfit look organized and chic. For example, if I wore the same exact camel color for each piece, well, I would look like a camel! Try and go for slightly off colors to balance the outfit off. Play around with different shades and always go darker or lighter than your main piece!
4. Fourth, accessorize! Since I didn’t want my black pants to stick out too much, I balanced out the color with a leopard printed clutch. Although it’s not a camel color, the light brown and black bag add so much to the outfit. I got this one as a freebie for participating at a Bloomingdales event at NYFW last season. If you’ve been reading my blog, you know I love a good ring stack. These rings by Gorjana are undeniably the most fun to wear. They are minimal, yet make a huge impact on your style. I’ve linked a whole bunch of my favorite Gorjana styles for you to shop below! A dainty layered necklace was all I needed to tie my accessories together. You can never go wrong with black and gold!
5. Fifth, always put your shoes on last! I think this is human nature when getting dressed, but when styling an outfit it’s very important to factor this in! I ALWAYS pick my shoes last because I believe it’s the easiest part of styling an outfit. Now if your shoes are your main piece and you’re styling your outfit around them, that’s a different story. But for the most part shoes should be the final item you add to your look – they are the cherry on top! I picked my favorite Sam Edelman nude pumps that are incredibly comfortable and incredibly chic. I love a good nude pump because they match so many outfits.
Styling a color-coordinated outfit is actually quite easy. You just need to keep it simple – remember less is always more. I hope you enjoyed my tips and enjoy this fabulous photo session with my talented friend Caroline Lawless! We shot at the North Carolina Museum of Art and it was such a perfect day and location.
Shop my look here: